Plan, direct, or coordinate activities to solicit and maintain funds for special projects or nonprofit organizations.
Sample of reported job titles: Account Supervisor, Annual Giving Director, Development Director
This title represents an occupation for which data collection is currently underway.
View report: Summary Details Custom Easy Read Veterans Español
Tasks | Technology Skills | Tools Used | Detailed Work Activities | Job Zone | Credentials | Wages & Employment | Job Openings | Additional Information
- Assign, supervise, and review the activities of fundraising staff.
- Compile or develop materials to submit to granting or other funding organizations.
- Conduct research to identify the goals, net worth, charitable donation history, or other data related to potential donors, potential investors, or general donor markets.
- Contact corporate representatives, government officials, or community leaders to increase awareness of organizational causes, activities, or needs.
- Design and edit promotional publications, such as brochures.
- Develop fundraising activity plans that maximize participation or contributions and minimize costs.
- Develop strategies to encourage new or increased contributions.
- Direct activities of external agencies, establishments, or departments that develop and implement fundraising strategies and programs.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with clients, government officials, and media representatives and use these relationships to develop new fundraising opportunities.
- Establish goals for soliciting funds, develop policies for collection and safeguarding of contributions, and coordinate disbursement of funds.
- Evaluate advertising and promotion programs for compatibility with fundraising efforts.
- Formulate policies and procedures related to fundraising programs.
- Manage fundraising budgets.
- Plan and direct special events for fundraising, such as silent auctions, dances, golf events, or walks.
- Produce films and other video products, regulate their distribution, and operate film library.
- Write interesting and effective press releases, prepare information for media kits, and develop and maintain company internet or intranet web pages.
Find occupations related to multiple tasks
back to top
- Accounting software — Fund accounting software
- Business intelligence and data analysis software — MicroStrategy
- Cloud-based data access and sharing software — Google Drive ; Microsoft SharePoint ; Slack
- Customer relationship management CRM software — Blackbaud eTapestry; Blackbaud The Raiser’s Edge; Oracle Eloqua; Salesforce software (see all 5 examples)
- Data base management system software — Teradata Database
- Data base user interface and query software — Airtable; Data entry software; Microsoft Access ; Yardi software (see all 5 examples)
- Data mining software — Google Analytics
- Desktop publishing software — Adobe Systems Adobe Distiller; Adobe Systems Adobe InDesign ; Adobe Systems Adobe PageMaker; Microsoft Publisher (see all 5 examples)
- Document management software — Adobe Systems Adobe Acrobat
- Electronic mail software — Google Gmail; IBM Notes ; MicroFocus GroupWise
- Enterprise resource planning ERP software — Microsoft Dynamics ; Oracle PeopleSoft Financials
- Graphics or photo imaging software — Adobe Systems Adobe Creative Cloud ; Adobe Systems Adobe Illustrator ; Adobe Systems Adobe Photoshop ; SmugMug Flickr (see all 6 examples)
- Human resources software — Human resource management software HRMS
- Internet browser software — Web browser software
- Office suite software — Corel WordPerfect Office Suite; Microsoft Office
- Presentation software — Mentimeter; Microsoft PowerPoint
- Project management software — Microsoft Project ; zkipster
- Sales and marketing software — Google AdWords ; HubSpot software ; Instagram PeopleMap; Marketo Marketing Automation
- Spreadsheet software — Microsoft Excel
- Video creation and editing software — Adobe Systems Adobe After Effects ; Flipgrid; WeVideo; YouTube (see all 7 examples)
- Web page creation and editing software — Adobe Systems Adobe Dreamweaver; Facebook ; LinkedIn ; Social media sites (see all 5 examples)
- Web platform development software — Drupal ; Hypertext markup language HTML
- Word processing software — Google Docs ; Microsoft Word
Hot Technology — a technology requirement frequently included in employer job postings.
back to top
Detailed Work Activities
- Develop organizational policies or programs.
- Develop business or market strategies.
- Develop financial or business plans.
- Develop library or archival databases.
- Develop operating strategies, plans, or procedures.
- Develop organizational goals or objectives.
- Develop promotional materials.
- Direct financial operations.
- Direct sales, marketing, or customer service activities.
- Distribute instructional or library materials.
- Edit documents.
- Establish interpersonal business relationships to facilitate work activities.
- Evaluate employee performance.
- Evaluate program effectiveness.
- Examine financial records.
- Inform the public about policies, services or procedures.
- Manage organizational or project budgets.
- Operate still or video cameras or related equipment.
- Organize special events.
- Prepare proposal documents.
- Present information to the public.
- Supervise employees.
Find occupations related to multiple detailed work activities
back to top
|Title||Job Zone Four: Considerable Preparation Needed|
|Education||Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor’s degree, but some do not.|
|Related Experience||A considerable amount of work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is needed for these occupations. For example, an accountant must complete four years of college and work for several years in accounting to be considered qualified.|
|Job Training||Employees in these occupations usually need several years of work-related experience, on-the-job training, and/or vocational training.|
|Job Zone Examples||Many of these occupations involve coordinating, supervising, managing, or training others. Examples include real estate brokers, sales managers, database administrators, graphic designers, chemists, art directors, and cost estimators.|
|SVP Range||(7.0 to < 8.0)|
back to top
back to top
Wages & Employment Trends
Median wage data for Public Relations and Fundraising Managers.
Employment data for Public Relations and Fundraising Managers.
Industry data for Public Relations and Fundraising Managers.
|Median wages (2020)||$56.94 hourly, $118,430 annual|
|Employment (2020)||89,000 employees|
|Projected growth (2020-2030)||Faster than average (10% to 15%)|
|Projected job openings (2020-2030)||8,900|
|Top industries (2020)||
Other Services (Except Public Administration)
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2020 wage data and 2020-2030 employment projections . “Projected growth” represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2020-2030). “Projected job openings” represent openings due to growth and replacement.
back to top
Job Openings on the Web
back to top
Sources of Additional Information
Disclaimer: Sources are listed to provide additional information on related jobs, specialties, and/or industries. Links to non-DOL Internet sites are provided for your convenience and do not constitute an endorsement.
- American Alliance of Museums
- American Marketing Association
- Association of Fundraising Professionals
- Council for Advancement and Support of Education
- International Association of Business Communicators
- Occupational Outlook Handbook: Public relations and fundraising managers
- Public Relations Society of America
- Society for Healthcare Strategy and Market Development of the American Hospital Association
back to top